3M™ Protecta® Vest-Style Positioning/Climbing/Retrieval Harness with a fixed D-ring to minimize workday readjustment and give the harness a fresh, sleek look. Plus, Pass-Through Leg Connection, Pass-Through Chest Connection, and Back, Front, Side and Shoulder D-rings. These harnesses are rated for 420 lbs (190 kg) total working weight.
Hardware features include Pass Thru Leg Connection, Pass Thru Chest Connection, Parachute Torso Buckle, Back and Front D rings. The Back D ring provides a general fall arrest device connection point and is included on all models of 3M™ Protecta® Vest Style Harnesses.
Regulatory and Standards Compliance
3M™ Protecta® Fall Protection Harnesses are designed for a maximum capacity of 420 lbs (190 kg), including the worker’s body weight, clothing, tools and other accessories. These fall arrest systems meet the requirements of ANSI Z359.11; and OSHA 1910.140 and 1926.502.
We rigorously test all our 3M™ Fall Protection safety products to ensure they meet global industry standards established by OSHA, MSHA, ANSI, CSA and CE. Our ISO 9001-2008 certification and on-site ISO 17025-accredited lab demonstrates our commitment to quality and safety.
Fundamentals of Fall Protection/OSHA Regulations
Fall hazards pose a significant risk of serious injury or death for people working at height. OSHA has set safety standards that help increase safety for employees whose jobs require working at heights. A personal fall protection system is critical to worker safety at height.
OSHA-compliant personal fall protection systems typically include four components:
- Anchorages, as defined by OSHA, are secure fall protection anchor points for attachment of lifelines, lanyards or deceleration devices, and are designed to remain secure under the forces generated during a fall arrest event. Anchorages vary by industry, job, type of installation and structure.
- Body support¬ refers to fall protection equipment that directly supports the worker’s weight and maintains the body in a safe position. Worker comfort, fit and ease of use are key considerations in the selection of body support equipment – such as a full body harness – that a worker may need to wear for extended periods during a work day.
- Full body harnesses distribute fall arrest forces across the shoulders, upper thighs, chest and pelvis. Fall arrest harnesses feature a dorsal D-ring for attaching to a connector (such as a lanyard) and may have other D-rings for use in worker positioning, travel restraint, retrieval or ladder climbing. They are the only form of body support acceptable for fall arrest.
- Connectors attach the worker’s harness to the anchorage. Types will vary depending on whether the worker needs connecting for personal fall arrest or positioning and travel restriction.
- Employers must have a descent and rescue plan that either provides for the prompt rescue of employees in the event of a fall or ensures that employees are able to rescue themselves. Executing this plan may require the use of a specific rescue system designed for the application.
3M‘s Commitment to Worker Safety
When you’re working at height, you need to be able to trust your personal protective equipment, not only for your sake, but for the sake of your co-workers below. 3M™ Fall Protection elevates worker safety to new heights with quality products, people and service under the trusted 3M™ DBI-SALA® and 3M™ Protecta® brands. With harnesses designed to comply with industry standards and adapt to the needs of today’s workforce, we’re committed to making products that help employers bring workers home safely.